Saturday 30 June 2018

One Sketch #97) Old Type B London Bus #30x30DirectWatercolor2018


In London streets
And Flanders fields
A rumbling presence
And a rattling good ride

I've been meaning to paint a B Type bus for a while. As it happens, I made a charcoal sketch of one three years ago -
The comment in the verse about Flanders fields is because B Type buses - nicknamed Ole Bill after a popular cartoon character of the time - were transported across the Channel and served as troop transports along the British sectors of the Western Front.  I can't prove this, but I personally feel that Londoners' love affair with the red double decker bus began with the B Type. And no, though a Londoner myself, I'm not old enough to have seen B Type buses on the streets of the Capital, thank you very much. I do remember Routemasters very fondly though. But that's another subject for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up . . .

Been a while, hasn't it?  Don't worry, I haven't given up sketching. No, I just haven't got round to posting anything. Now, ...