Saturday 7 July 2018

One Sketch #104) Marilyn Monroe

The original candle in the wind
A lasting icon
But a frail and fragile person too
The person, long gone
But the icon?
Imperishable

Right, you need to stay with me on this one. A few days ago, on Tuesday, the England football team were playing in the last 16 of the FIFA world cup against Colombia. Now, being 54 years old, and a lifelong England supporter, you'll appreciate that I've been put through the wringer by England many times. In all honesty, my nerves just wouldn't stand watching the match. So I painted the Laurel and Hardy sketch which was actually my 100th One sketch a day. I finished just in time to see the England goalkeeper save a penalty to put England through.

So, today, England played their quarter final against Sweden. To put this into perspective, England have reached something like 7 quarter finals previously during my lifetime, and won precisely 2 - and the first of those, 1966 I am too young to even remember.

So I bottled out of watching it. Hoping to work the same magic as the Colombia game, instead I painted another iconic film star, the great Marilyn Monroe. She starred in one of the most joyous comedies of all time in "Some Like It Hot", and despite dying before I was born she's still as big an icon as she's ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up . . .

Been a while, hasn't it?  Don't worry, I haven't given up sketching. No, I just haven't got round to posting anything. Now, ...