Saturday 21 July 2018

One Sketch #118) Kidwelly Castle




I never will begrudge
Spending some hours
Sitting, painting these
Kidwelly towers.

There's a couple of reasons why I took it into my head to drive West for the best part of an hour to Kidwelly, west of Llanelli. Well, one reason, really, that is mighty Kidwelly Castle. However, there's two reasons why I decided to paint it today.

Back in 1991 I had only the two children - my oldest daughter, and my son. I passed my driving test that year, and my father in law was kind enough to give us his old Ford Fiesta. This proved to be a terrific little car which did us proud for four years. One of the first trips I took the kids on was to visit Kidwelly Castle. Mikey can only have been about 3 and a half, but I remember the trip with great affection, and I've taken each of the kids there at one time or another.

It isn't just lingering affection which drove me there today, though. For Kidwelly Castle was where I made one of my first ever attempts at a line and watercolour wash picture. I thought I'd see how far I've come in just over a year. So here's the original I did in 2017:-


Well, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and you might say, well, of course this older one doesn't look as good - it's a photo, not a scan. Well, here's the on the spot photo I took of one of today's by way of comparison.
Now, I'm very sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, that's case proven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up . . .

Been a while, hasn't it?  Don't worry, I haven't given up sketching. No, I just haven't got round to posting anything. Now, ...