Friday 3 April 2020

British Illustrators 14: Raymond Briggs and The Snowman



If we’re looking for a challenger to Beatrix Potter’s crown as top British writer/illustrator, then we probably don’t need to look any further than Raymond Briggs. In fact, you could make a case that Raymond Briggs is more versatile than Beatrix Potter was, since he has proven he can write equally well for children and adults. Twice winner of the Kate Greenaway medal, he’s unlucky not to have won it a third time yet. Mind you, nobody else has won it three times either.

I thoroughly enjoyed making my copy from “The Snowman”. It was interesting to read that Raymond Briggs chose to use coloured pencils for the book because he wanted to do something quick, clean and fresh – his words. Personally, I found that as much as I enjoyed trying to imitate his style, it was by no means a quick process. Quiet a rewarding one, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up . . .

Been a while, hasn't it?  Don't worry, I haven't given up sketching. No, I just haven't got round to posting anything. Now, ...