Friday 1 March 2019

One Sketch 341) Queen Christina of Sweden

Christina the Queen was a lass
At whom one would not make a pass
She ruled as a king
But then, here's the thing
She gave it all up for the Mass.

Okay, the prompt today on Sketching Every Day was Famous Women from History. Now, I already knew a bit about Queen Christina of Sweden, but I learned quite a bit more about here while I was in Stockholm. Giving you the edited highlights version, she was the only surviving child of King Gustavus II Adolphus the Great, and he made it clear that he wanted her to succeed him. He had her educated exactly the same way that he would have had a son educated. She became queen (although she was actually given the title of king) when her father was killed in battle when she was 14. As she became older, Christina became more and more interested in Catholicism, which was not really what 17th century Lutheran Sweden was looking for in a monarch, and in the end she abdicated so that she could convert.

Just as a point I want to note - we are now in March, dearly beloved, and by the end of the month I will have completed my one sketch a day challenge. Woa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up . . .

Been a while, hasn't it?  Don't worry, I haven't given up sketching. No, I just haven't got round to posting anything. Now, ...